Miscellaneous » Substitute Information » How to Get Started as a Substitute

How to Get Started as a Substitute

Becoming a Substitute, whether as a teacher in the classroom, or as a school *bus driver, food service, custodian or maintenance worker, is a rewarding experience.

To get started you will need to complete our online application through the application link provided on our website (See: Careers > Employment Opportunities > Applications). 

Information from your application is then put into a public school software system, which works hand in hand with the State Board of Education and Texas Department of Public Safety. If your fingerprints have never been electronically entered into the SBEC database, you will receive instructions by email on how to make an appointment to have this done.  DPS will notify the Central Office upon your completion of the fingerprint process.
Your Driver's License or DPS issued I.D. card will be needed for employment verification, along with one other form of I.D. in the Central Office.   You will also be asked to sign a DPS verification form which allows the district to conduct a background check.

All custodian, maintenance, and food service substitutes are now ready to start working!

In addition to your Driver's License or DPS issued I.D. card, classroom substitutes will need to bring a copy of their HS Diploma, GED or equivalent, or college transcripts to the Central Office.  All classroom substitutes are required to attend a workshop/orientation before starting. This is offered several times during the school year: in August before the start of the school year and in January.  If you can not attend a scheduled workshop, you will need to wait until the next scheduled workshop.

All classroom "teacher" substitutes are now ready to start working!

Welcome to the district!!!

*Bus Drivers have additional requirements, please contact Karen Mann, 830-563-2491 ext. 100, for information.